Have you been looking for the best headphones for keyboards? With so many options available, choosing the right headphones for your keyboard or piano can be difficult. It can be challenging most times to find the perfect pair to enhance your musical experience.
When it comes to headphones for keyboards, there are several factors to consider such as sound quality, comfort, noise isolation, and microphone quality (if needed).
Using headphones for piano and keyboards offers advantages such as improved focus, better sound quality, increased privacy, recording capabilities, and customizable sound. They enhance the playing experience by eliminating external noise and allowing for a more direct and nuanced sound.
When buying headphones for use with a keyboard or piano, there are a few things to consider ensuring you get the best possible experience.
Things To Consider When Buying Headphones For Keyboard
- Sound Quality: Look for headphones with a flat, neutral frequency response. This will provide a more accurate representation of the sounds produced by your keyboard or piano.
- Impedance: Make sure the headphones have an impedance that is compatible with your keyboard or piano’s output. Higher impedance headphones may require additional amplification to reach suitable listening volumes.
- Noise Isolation: Headphones with good noise isolation can help block out ambient noise and distractions, allowing you to focus on your playing.
- Durability: Choose headphones that are well-built and durable, as they will likely be subjected to frequent use and potential wear and tear.
- Open-Back vs. Closed-Back: Open-back headphones allow for a more natural and spacious sound, while closed-back headphones offer better isolation and can be a better choice for recording.
- Comfort: Make sure the headphones you choose are comfortable to wear for extended periods of time, as you may be practicing or performing for hours on end.
Best Headphones for Keyboards
We’ll be taking a closer look at some of the best headphones available in the market for keyboard enthusiasts like you.
To help you make the right choice, we’ll also be discussing the advantages and disadvantages of each of the selected headphones. So sit back, relax, and let’s get started on finding your perfect match!
1. Audio-Technica ATH-M40x
The Audio-Technica ATH-M40x is the first on our list of the best headphones for keyboards. The Audio-Technica ATH-M40x is generally considered to be a high-quality headphone that delivers exceptional sound quality at an affordable price.
The ATH-M40x is designed for professional use and is particularly well-suited for recording and mixing music. It features large 40mm drivers that deliver a balanced and accurate sound with excellent detail and clarity across the frequency range. The model name of this headphone is Professional Studio Monitor Headphone, meaning it was specifically designed to deliver the best experience to the users.
What I like about Audio-Technica ATH-M40x is that the headphones also have a closed-back design that provides good isolation and helps to minimize external noise.
The build quality of the ATH-M40x is solid and durable, with high-quality materials used throughout the construction. The ear cups and headband are both padded for comfort, and the headphones can be adjusted to fit different head sizes.
|Model Name||Professional Studio Monitor Headphone|
|Application||Mixing, Tracking, DJ|
|Frequency Response||15Hz – 24kHz|
|Maximum Input Power||1600 mW|
|Driver Diameter||40 mm|
What I Think
If you are looking for a headphone for keyboards, the
Audio-Technica ATH-M40x headphones are a good choice for use with a keyboard. They offer accurate sound reproduction, good noise isolation, and a comfortable fit, making them suitable for both practicing and performing. They are also durable and affordable, making them a popular choice among musicians and audio professionals.
2. Yamaha HPH-50B Headphones
The next on our list of the best headphones for keyboards is Yamaha HPH-50B.
You can actually use Yamaha HPH-50B headphones for keyboards. These headphones are designed to work with a wide range of audio devices, including keyboards. They have a standard 3.5 mm headphone jack, which is compatible with most keyboards and other audio devices.
The Yamaha HPH-50B headphones are also designed to provide a clear and accurate sound that is ideal for monitoring your keyboard playing. They feature a closed-back design that helps to isolate the sound and prevent leakage, which can be particularly useful if you are playing in a noisy environment.
|Driver Type||Dynamic, closed-back|
|Frequency Response||20Hz – 20kHz|
|Connector||3.5mm stereo mini-jack|
|Weight (with cable)||132 grams (4.7 ounces)|
- Foldable and Portable
- Affordable Price
- Minimal Sound Leakage
- Clear Sound Quality
- No In-Line Microphone
- Non-Detachable Cable
What I Think
The Yamaha HPH-50B headphones are a good choice for anyone looking for a reliable and high-quality set of headphones to use with their keyboard.
So go ahead and plug in your headphones to your keyboard and let your creativity flow! Whether you’re practicing, performing, or simply jamming out, the Yamaha HPH-50B headphones will provide a great listening experience, making your music sound better than ever before.
3. The Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro headphones are a great choice for keyboards and pianos. With their high-quality sound and comfortable fit, you’ll be able to hear every note with clarity and detail. They’re also designed to handle high volumes, so you can crank up the volume and really feel the music.
Using headphones while playing keyboard or piano is a great way to immerse yourself in the music without disturbing others around you. Whether you’re practicing at home or performing on stage, the DT 880 Pro headphones will help you stay focused and connected to your music.
Did you know that the Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro headphones are super comfy? They have a strong steel headband that keeps them securely in place, and the soft ear cups can be adjusted to fit your ears just right. You can wear them for hours without any discomfort.
Another cool thing about these headphones is the one-sided cable. This means you won’t have to deal with annoying tangles when you need to adjust or take them off. And, since they’re lightweight, you’ll barely even notice you’re wearing them!
|Type||Semi-open back, over-ear headphones|
|Frequency Response||5 Hz – 35 kHz|
|Maximum Input Power||100 mW|
|Cable||Coiled, 3 meters long, single-sided|
|Connector||Gold-plated 1/8 inch (3.5mm) stereo jack with 1/4 inch (6.35mm) adapter|
- Build Quality
- Very Affordable
- Noise Isolation
4. Sennheiser HD 559 Open Back Headphone
The fourth-best headphones for keyboards on our list is SENNHEISER HD 559 Open Back Headphone. You can use the SENNHEISER HD 559 Open Back Headphone for your keyboard! These headphones are designed to deliver high-quality audio performance for a variety of different applications, including music listening, gaming, and even typing on your keyboard.
One of the great features of the HD 559 headphones is their open-back design, which provides a spacious and natural soundstage that can help to enhance your listening experience.
This can be particularly helpful when it comes to typing on your keyboard, as you’ll be able to hear the subtle nuances of the keys as you type, which can be especially helpful if you’re a touch-typist.
The HD 559 headphones have a comfortable and lightweight design that makes them ideal for extended listening sessions, which can be particularly useful if you’re spending long hours typing away at your keyboard. So whether you’re a professional writer, a gamer, or just someone who loves to type, the SENNHEISER HD 559 Open Back Headphone is definitely a great choice!
Here are the specifications for the SENNHEISER HD 559 Open Back Headphones:
|Frequency Response||14 Hz – 26 kHz|
|Transducer Principle||Open-back, dynamic|
|Cable Length||3m detachable cable with 6.3mm jack plug|
|Sound Pressure Level (SPL)||108 dB (1 kHz / 1 Vrms)|
|Special Features||Detachable Cable,Lightweight|
- Open back, around-ear design. Connectivity Technology
- Detachable cable
- High-quality sound
- Non-foldable design
- Bass response
The Audio Technica ATH M50x headphones are a great choice for use with keyboards. These headphones are well-regarded for their excellent sound quality and accuracy, making them ideal for use in a variety of audio applications, including listening to music, mixing and mastering audio, and even gaming.
When it comes to using the ATH M50x headphones with a keyboard, you’ll find that they provide a clear and balanced sound that makes it easy to hear all the nuances of your playing. Whether you’re practicing, performing, or recording, you’ll be able to hear every note and detail with precision and clarity.
One of the great things about the ATH M50x headphones is their comfortable design. The earcups are padded and the headband is adjustable, so you can wear them for hours without experiencing any discomfort. This is especially important if you’re planning on using them for extended periods of time, such as during long practice sessions or recording sessions.
Here are the specifications for the Audio Technica ATH M50x headphones:
|Frequency Response||15 – 28,000 Hz|
|Maximum Input Power||1,600 mW at 1 kHz|
|Cable||Interchangeable cables: detachable 1.2m – 3.0m (3.9′ – 9.8′) coiled cable, detachable 3.0m (9.8′) straight cable, and detachable 1.2m (3.9′) straight cable|
|Accessories||Protective carrying pouch, 6.3 mm (1/4″) screw-on adapter|
- Very affordable
- Comfortable fit
- Sound quality
- Bulky design
The Audio Technica ATH M50x headphones are a great choice for anyone looking for high-quality headphones to use with their keyboard. With their exceptional sound quality and comfortable design, they’re sure to meet all your audio needs.
6. Roland RH-5 Quality Comfort-Fit Headphones
The Roland RH-5 Headphones is another one on our list of the best headphones for keyboard. They are a great option for musicians, producers, and audiophiles alike. These headphones offer high-quality sound and comfort, making them an ideal choice for extended listening sessions.
Sound Quality: Sound quality is considered one of the most important factors people look out for when buying a headphone. The sound quality of the Roland RH-5 headphones is exceptional, with a frequency response range of 10Hz-22kHz. The bass is rich and full, while the mids and highs are clear and detailed.
Whether you’re listening to music or using these headphones to monitor your recordings, you can expect accurate and balanced sound.
Comfort and Design: The design of the Roland RH-5 headphones is both sleek and ergonomic. The ear cups are padded and fit comfortably over your ears, while the headband is adjustable for a perfect fit. The headphones are lightweight, making them easy to wear for long periods without causing discomfort.
Durability: These headphones are made with high-quality materials, ensuring durability and longevity. The cables are sturdy and tangle-resistant, while the ear cups are designed to withstand wear and tear.
Compatibility: The Roland RH-5 headphones are compatible with a range of audio devices, including keyboards. They have a standard 1/8″ (3.5mm) stereo mini jack and come with a 1/4″ (6.3mm) stereo adapter, making them versatile and easy to use with a variety of devices.
|Type of Construction||Closed type; dynamic|
|Driver||40 mm in diameter|
|Frequency Response Input||10Hz-22kHz|
|Cable||3m (10′) coiled cable (OFC litz wire)|
Let us quickly look at some pros and cons of the Roland RH-5 Quality Comfort-Fit Headphones.
- High-quality sound with a balanced frequency response range of 10Hz-22kHz
- Comfortable fit with padded ear cups and adjustable headband
- Durable construction with sturdy cables and wear-resistant ear cups
- Versatile compatibility with a range of audio devices, including keyboards
- Affordable price point for the quality and features offered
- May not be ideal for those who prefer a more bass-heavy sound
- The cable length may be too long for some users, causing tangles or inconvenience
- The included 1/4″ adapter may become loose over time and require tightening or replacement
The Roland RH-5 Quality Comfort-Fit Headphones are an excellent option for anyone looking for high-quality sound and comfort. They are durable and versatile, making them suitable for use with a range of audio devices, including keyboards.
7. Philips SHP9500 Headphones
The truth is that when it comes to headphones, there are a lot of different options out there to choose from. However, if you’re in the market for a high-quality pair of headphones that won’t break the bank, the Philips SHP9500 headphones might just be the perfect fit for you.
Let’s take a closer look at what makes these headphones so special, and whether or not they’re suitable for use with keyboards.
- Design and Comfort: The first thing you’ll notice about the Philips SHP9500 headphones is their sleek and stylish design. The headphones have an open-back design, which not only looks great but also provides a more natural and immersive listening experience. The headband and ear cups are both padded with a comfortable, breathable material that feels great even after hours of use.
- Sound Quality: Of course, the most important thing to consider when choosing a pair of headphones is the sound quality. Thankfully, the Philips SHP9500 headphones deliver in this area as well. The headphones have a wide frequency range and deliver clear, detailed sound across the entire spectrum. Bass is present without being overpowering, and highs are crisp without being harsh.
So, can you use the Philips SHP9500 headphones for keyboards? The answer is a resounding yes! These headphones are great for use with keyboards, thanks to their accurate and detailed sound reproduction. Whether you’re playing classical piano pieces or banging out some heavy metal riffs, you’ll be able to hear every note clearly and accurately.
The open-back design of the headphones helps to create a more natural and immersive soundstage, which can be especially useful for keyboard players who want to hear the full range of their instrument.
- Excellent sound quality, with a balanced and natural sound signature
- Comfortable, with a padded headband and ear cups
- Stylish design with a sleek and modern look
- Open-back design provides a more natural and immersive soundstage
- Affordable price point for high-quality headphones
The cable is non-removable, which could be a drawback for some users who prefer to swap out cables for different purposes or for easier storage
8. Sony MDR7506 Headphones
Are you in the market for a new pair of headphones for keyboard and piano? Look no further than the Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphones. These headphones are a great option for those looking for a professional-grade audio experience.
Let’s dive in and take a closer look at the features and benefits of these headphones.
- Compatibility with Keyboards: The Sony MDR7506 headphones are a great option for use with keyboards. They provide clear and accurate sound, making them ideal for music production, sound engineering, and other audio-related tasks.
- Durability and Longevity: These headphones are built to last. The ear cups are made from high-quality materials, and the overall construction is solid and durable. This means you can use them for years without worrying about wear and tear.
- Sound Quality: One of the standout features of the Sony MDR7506 headphones is their exceptional sound quality. These headphones deliver a clear, accurate, and well-balanced sound, making them a great option for both music listening and professional audio work.
- Exceptional sound quality with clear, accurate, and well-balanced sound.
- Comfortable, over-ear fit with generously padded ear cups that swivel for easy storage.
- Durable and solid construction that is built to last.
- Ideal for professional audio work, such as music production, sound engineering, and broadcast work.
- Great for casual music listening, gaming, and other audio-related tasks.
- Compatible with keyboards and other audio equipment.
- The long coiled cable may be inconvenient for some users, especially when using the headphones on-the-go.
- The lack of noise cancellation
Can I use any headphones with keyboard?
In most cases, yes. As long as your keyboard has a standard 1/4-inch headphone jack or a 3.5mm headphone jack, you should be able to use any headphones that have the same jack size. However, some keyboards may have a proprietary headphone jack, so it’s important to check the user manual or manufacturer’s website to ensure compatibility.
Do digital pianos sound better with headphones?
Digital pianos can sound better with headphones because they allow you to hear every nuance of the sound without any interference from ambient noise. The sound is also often more direct, clear and detailed when you use headphones.
Can you plug headphones into a computer keyboard?
It depends on the keyboard. Some computer keyboards have a built-in 3.5mm headphone jack or a USB port that can be used to connect headphones, while others do not. Check the specifications of your keyboard to see if it has a headphone jack or a USB port that supports audio output.
What headphone jack does keyboard use?
Most keyboards use a standard 1/4-inch headphone jack or a 3.5mm headphone jack. However, some keyboards may have a proprietary headphone jack that requires a specific type of connector or adapter. Check the user manual or manufacturer’s website to ensure compatibility.
Why do keyboard players wear headphones?
Keyboard players wear headphones for a few reasons. First, it allows them to hear the sound of the keyboard more clearly, without any interference from external noise. Second, it allows them to practice or play without disturbing others around them. Finally, it can help them monitor their playing and make adjustments to their technique or sound as needed.
Can I connect Bluetooth headphones to a piano?
It depends on the piano. Some digital pianos have built-in Bluetooth connectivity and can connect to Bluetooth headphones or speakers. Others may require a Bluetooth adapter or dongle to enable Bluetooth connectivity. Check the user manual or manufacturer’s website to see if your piano has Bluetooth capabilities and what accessories may be needed.
When choosing the best headphones for a keyboard, consider factors such as comfort, sound quality, noise isolation, cable length, and compatibility with the keyboard’s headphone jack. Look for headphones with a wide frequency response, clear and detailed sound, and a comfortable fit.
Closed-back headphones are ideal for noise isolation, and a detachable cable can provide added convenience. It’s also important to read reviews and compare prices before making a purchase.
If you find this article helpful, feel free to share it with your friends.